The "Millenary Olive Trees of the Sénia Territory" in Brussels
On Thursday, 23 November 2023 with the European Economic and Social Committee (EESC)
On Thursday 23 November in Brussels, at the headquarters of the European Economic and Social Committee there was a meeting of GIAHS "Millenary Olive Trees of the Sénia Territory" (represented by Tere Adell of the Mancomunidad Taula Del Sénia and Jaume Antich of the Sénia Territory Association) with the Section for Agriculture, Rural Development and Environment (NAT section) of the European Economic and Social Committee (EESC), chaired by Peter Schmidt and Josep Puxeu (President and Vice-President) and also with other members, to learn about the project of the Millenary Olive Trees of the Sénia Territory.
The NAT Section is responsible for a wide range of issues, including the CAP (Common Agricultural Policy), food sustainability, environmental protection, the circular economy, meeting the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and climate change.
And Friday 24 November 2023 with the European Committee of the Regions
On Friday 24 November, FAO met with the European Committee of the Regions (CoR) in Brussels to present 3 GIAHS sites from Spain and 2 from Italy to help raise awareness, foster knowledge sharing and promote sustainable agricultural practices within the European Committee of the Regions.
The opening was hosted by the President of the Committee of the Regions (Mr. Vasco Cordeiro) and the Director of the FAO Office in the EU (Mr. Raschad-Al-Khafaji).
The panel presentation on the importance of GIAHS and its impact on sustainable development was led by Ms Clelia Maria Puzzo, GIAHS Secretariat and the 5 participants were:
- Mr. Roberto Morroni, Vice President Umbria Region. Olive groves between Assisi and Spoleto.
- Mrs. Teresa Adell, Manager Mancomunidad Taula del Sénia. Millenary Olive Trees, Sénia Territory.
- Mr. Roberto Ciambetti, President Veneto Region. Traditional vineyards SOAVE.
- Mr. Gerardo Álvarez, Provincial Council of León, agropastoral system of the León Mountains
- Mr José L. Aguirre, Councillor for Agriculture of the Valencian Community, historic watering system, Horta de València